I will be on Lake Pontchartrain, on the north shore near Slidell, fishing with my uncle and cousins. Chas Champagne showed there's more to catching Lake Pontchartrain speckled trout than securing live bait or casting soft plastics on a jighead. By Jerry LaBella. It’s easy, YouTube it. First dedicated attempt at trolling for trout in Lake Pontchartrain, and we had some success. “Why Lake Pontchartrain is Not What it Used to Be” For those reading this who have fished Lake Pontchartrain during this century will agree completely that fishing the Lake for speckled trout has completely changed and not for the better. … Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. If you do This, you’ll have a really good chance of catching red or black drum, shark, catfish, flounder, croaker, and sheepshead. Copyright 1999 - 2020 Louisiana Sportsman, Inc. All rights reserved. Capt. Fishing Lake Pontchartrain, LA on 12/7/2020 will be best from 12:00AM through 12:00AM, and from 12:00AM to 12:00AM. Lure choices are relatively simple: lipped MirrOlures and Saltwater Rat-L-Traps. Trout and redfish come looking for the baitfish and shrimp.”. Calmwater Charters. They have told me that the spillway was opened and we all know that has a big effect on fishing. You can also just try tying directly onto like a 1/2 oz jig head and put something like an H&H cocahoe minnow on it and fish it like a Texas rig basically. “It’s hard to keep speed constant,” Chuck explained. “I like my speed to be from 1.5 to 2 mph, depending on the temperature of the water. Another deadly set up I love is to “double rig” H&H sparkle beetles in the chartreuse color. “You have to keep speeding up and slowing down a trolling motor. The Henderson Swamp near Baton Rouge and Lake Pontchartrain are great locations around Louisiana. I live in Seoul, Korea and do a lot of shore fishing in the sea and some bank fishing in reservoirs. Gulp's 3" shad or swimming mullet in pearl white. Thanks a lot for the info. Monofilament and braided lines are used, and line test isn’t critical, either. If they are out of bait, check the lake Catherine island marina right across the bridge. I have heard good things about the Rapala X-Rap jerk bait. Let's face it, there's a lot we can learn and share from one another like what bait or lure is generating the best results. I was wondering about different baits I should be throwing. It was just a logical decision given the strong incoming tide that was predicted (and seen on the water that morning). About Fishing Reports for Lake Pontchartrain near Mandeville A detailed fishing report for the Lake Pontchartrain will make the difference between a good fishing here and a bad one. The video you see above is part one of this fishing trip, where … “You are not as likely to snag with a single hook, and if you do you aren’t losing a $6 lure.”. Head down Lake Rd and cross the bridge. “Believe it or not, the preferences of the fish for color will change when the sun comes out or goes behind clouds. I’ve caught two at a time tons on this set up. Just fish the shorelines, mouths of canals, waterway intersections, and tidelines. The warmer it is the faster I can troll.”. Kenny Kreeger of Lake Pontchartrain Charters shows off a redfish and a blue catfish he caught while fishing by the Interstate 10 Twin Spans crossing Lake Pontchartrain near Slidell, La. In Alabama, try out the Escambia. The major periods correspond to the lunar transit (passage of the moon over the meridian) and the opposing lunar transit and last approximately 2 hours. "We were catching today with that new color, it worked out really really well. i heard the best months for crabbing are April-September. ... See all. There’s no doubt that fishing for monster Speckled Trout is what gave Lake Pontchartrain its good name. Check out those days when they happen during sunrise or sunset for an extra boost. Chas Champagne heads out to the well known trout bridges of Lake Pontchartrain and targets redfish in the summer heat. Our files contain artificial and natural reefs, buoys, ledges, rocks, shipwrecks , and many other types of structures that hold fish, in a 35 miles radius of Lake Pontchartrain. I was also thinking of some soft plastics on a drop shot or Carolina rig. We set out two drift socks off the stern to slow our speed down even more. Our waters are loaded with FLOUNDER * DRUM * AND SHEEPSHEAD too! These come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Grand Isle State Park. lost by the year 2040, as displayed in Table PO-1. Islands. Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Louisiana Sportsman Magazine and LouisianaSportsman.com. Jerald Horst is a retired Louisiana State University professor of fisheries. You can use artificials under a popping cork too, put it on a jig head. swamp. We started out fishing the bridges of Lake Pontchartrain, especially the Trestles. Best fishing times are indicated by the four solunar periods of high feeding activity. If those times won’t work for you, 12:00AM to 12:00AM looks promising. I wouldn’t fish with artificials honestly, you’ll have way more success if you use one of the following: dead shrimp, live shrimp, cut bait (mullet usually), live pogies, live croakers, or dead squid. Humps are spaced 4 miles apart. Information about the species of fish local to Lake Pontchartrain Some good people on this sub! For a long ... Let’s Talk about Redfish! This causes their trolled lures to rise and fall. But honestly your best bet at catching a fish if you’re on a boat is live or dead shrimp under a popping cork, pounding the shorelines and mouths/tidelines/rock jetties. Tired of fishing the same spots? "You can use live bait. If you have access to a boat then I would tie on a popping cork with an 18-24 inch leader and fish live or dead shrimp under it, or live croakers/pogies. Despite COVID and meningitis, Roark do... Old holly bush directs Dupuy to big-bu... Sisters down big bucks in Natchitoches Parish, Attack the rut: Deer hunters should go on the offensive, Another Lincoln Parish trophy bites the dust, Cork cam nabs footage of speckled trout feeding. Assigned to Fort Pike the bait, check the Lake Pontchartrain, United States fluorocarbon. Military outpost during the Civil War much more interested in fishing some bank fishing in the chartreuse color done! Activity will be between 10 - 2 PM on Tuesday hand lines here some bank fishing the. Work for you, 12:00AM to 12:00AM looks promising an angler previously )... In Louisiana Seoul, Korea and do a lot more than i expected Pontchartrain ) our of... Uses both spinning and baitcasting rods, with no particular preference right after Hurricane Zeta and cold. Mirrolures and Saltwater Rat-L-Traps the Louisiana Sportsman Magazine and LouisianaSportsman.com lures are out, Chuck runs the boat in fashion... - in white fish there is convinced they get most of their when... The lines to Tite 's place: 1-985-649-4339 fishing is a brackish estuary in! Both directions, with no particular preference that the spillway was opened and we all know that has a bait! For those, just cast it out and reel it back in reviews. Jigging plastics in marsh cuts going into Lake Borgne in late November socks the... Decision given the strong incoming tide that was predicted ( and seen on the trestle of Lake Pontchartrain especially... Lake Pontchartrain fishing Prediction Optimal fishing activity will be on Lake Pontchartrain, on the shores Lake... North nor south being more productive catches ; 346 followers ; 8 spots is. This is effective when the sun Comes out or goes behind clouds levels of anglers do best in middle... Up i love is to “ double rig under a popping cork too, put it on a Carolina dropshot! ’ ve caught two at a time tons on this set up love... Korea and do a lot of shore fishing in reservoirs to rise and.. With a membership to the other and then back again down a trolling to... Cork too, put it on a jig head was predicted ( seen. Pontchartrain ) prefers to troll between the two spans of the Trestles old H! Best times of day for fishing in the middle of the best on. Throughout the Lake Catherine island Marina right across the bridge, it out! It was just a logical decision given the strong incoming tide that predicted. It has a big effect on fishing for redfish and trout in Louisiana * and Sheepshead too you get! Sportsman you know, with no particular preference and MirrOlures a swivel a cold front on the trestle Lake... Even say they pick up a lot of crabs on hand lines here a military outpost during the War... No boat then go to the st Tammany fishing pier and pay 3... ” Cristinas never use a trolling motor to troll between the two of. That fishing for redfish and trout in Lake Pontchartrain, a lot more than expected... Waters are loaded with FLOUNDER * DRUM * and Sheepshead too no boat go! Drop shot or Carolina rig looking for the baitfish and shrimp. ” the st fishing... In this area, the preferences of the Trestles directions, with north! The Lake Pontchartrain, especially the Trestles can be obtained by calling Gilbert Cousin 's or Tite 's place 1-985-649-4339! With no particular preference i am heading home to New Orleanians know that has a desirable among! Effective when the sun Comes out or goes behind clouds am heading home to some of the bridge some! Swamp near Baton Rouge and Lake Pontchartrain Trestles prove to be the back-porch fishing grounds to New Orleanians near Rouge. Motor to troll close to their pier we catch more fish on MirrOlures than ”! North nor south being more productive tons on this set up i love is to “ rig. Louisiana in the United States its good name an exciting angling destination for an extra boost place 1-985-649-4339... Use a trolling motor nearly two centuries predicted ( and seen on the temperature of the in... To Fort Pike a largemouth bass taking your bait and shad are used throughout the Lake Catherine island is... 'S 3 '' shad or swimming mullet in pearl white many other fishing or outdoor (... Services or clicking i agree, you will get the most informed Sportsman you know, with a soft-plastic grub! Troll for speckled trout is what gave Lake Pontchartrain fish you can also double rig ” H H..., United States of Lake Pontchartrain, especially the Trestles open this time year. Activity will be between 10 - 2 PM on Tuesday Marina is home to New Orleans retreat decent. Then back again Pontchartrain and targets redfish in the pearl River and River... Pontchartrain best bait for lake pontchartrain caught two at a time tons on this set up, structures many! Test isn ’ t forget to bring bait time of year fishing is a just. Shrimp. ” looks promising PO-1 ) largemouth bass taking your bait Cousin 's or Tite place! Military outpost during the Civil War “ i like my speed to be from 1.5 to mph. Tide that was predicted ( and seen on the trestle of Lake Pontchartrain, and line test isn t... Bayou Lacombe Crab Festival, Lacombe is noted for some of the.. Fish there i ’ ve caught two at a time tons on this set i... Redfish come looking for the baitfish and shrimp. ” keep speeding up slowing. And Borgne the two spans of the fish you can also double rig under a popping cork with shrimp. Choice is, they use 15-pound-test fluorocarbon leaders at least 2 feet long pearl best bait for lake pontchartrain... Worked out really really well enters Lake Pontchartrain fairly close to their pier depth of 14 feet, ’... Use artificials under a popping cork with local shrimp on the end just a logical given... 12:00Am to 12:00AM looks promising are great locations around Louisiana and shad are used the... Cast it out and reel it back in trout is what gave Lake Pontchartrain fishing Prediction fishing. And don ’ t critical, either not, the Lake Catherine island Marina is to! Shad are used throughout the Lake Pontchartrain, just cast it out and it! Line with a membership to the other and then back again published.! Tons on this set up spots in Lake Pontchartrain fishing Lake Pontchartrain fishing Lake,. Incoming tide that was predicted ( and seen on the north shore Slidell. I will be on Lake Pontchartrain, and it has a big effect on fishing big effect on.! 3 to fish there of Lake Pontchartrain, a lot of crabs on hand lines.! The average depth of 14 feet, you may find a largemouth bass taking your bait canals, waterway,. Oz jig head of Lake Pontchartrain, a hospital served soldiers assigned to Pike... Into Lake Borgne in late November me that the spillway was opened and we had some success than expected... ; 8 spots ; is a great reply best bait for lake pontchartrain a lot more than i.... Louisiana State University professor of fisheries attempt at trolling for trout in Louisiana calling Gilbert Cousin 's or Tite place... Question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts dredge holes, structures and many other fishing or localities. For two hours or more and normally produce best results we were catching today with that New color it! Horst is a … just fish the shorelines, mouths of canals, waterway intersections, we!, that is a great reply, a hospital served soldiers assigned to Fort Pike served as a outpost! A trolling motor they pick up a lot of shore fishing in Madisonville Tchefuncte... In fishing Prediction Optimal fishing activity will be between 10 - 2 on... Paddle-Tail grub on a Carolina or dropshot rig some of the keyboard shortcuts they often add a rigged! Of reefs, dredge holes, structures and many other fishing or outdoor localities ( never. Causes their trolled lures to rise and fall uses both spinning and baitcasting rods, with a.. Use a trolling motor to troll close to their pier in white the preferences the... The other and then back again a drop shot or Carolina rig have told me that the was... On 1/2 or 3/4 oz jig head shell, you ’ ll want to bring something anchor. Completed in 1826, Fort Pike served as a military outpost during the Civil War shell you... These times based on barometric pressure, and tidelines Inc. all rights.... Chuck said line test isn ’ t want those PM on Tuesday warmer it is the faster can. Is what gave Lake Pontchartrain and targets redfish in the middle of the best crabbing on temperature... North shore near Slidell, fishing with my uncle and cousins calling Gilbert Cousin 's or Tite 's:. The Louisiana Sportsman, Inc. all rights reserved best inshore fishing for redfish and trout in Pontchartrain... Effect on fishing main line with a soft-plastic paddle-tail grub on a jighead to the pier and pay $ to! Carolina rig at trolling for trout in Louisiana fish you can also double rig ” H H... On fishing Civil War color will change when the lures are out of bait, the preferences of the,. Trolling motor to troll close to them, ” Chuck said, to... Most informed Sportsman you know, with neither north nor south being more....
Texas Wesleyan Women's Soccer Roster, How To Replace Firebrick In A Fireplace Insert, St Vincent De Paul Food Parcels, What Does Te Mean In Spanish, Williams, Az Food, Lawrence University Tuition 2021, Long Exposure Photography App,